Posted on January 10 2017
Makenzie and Adam's
4 Door JK - Jeep
Smittybilt 9500 XRC
Our good friends and customers, Makenzie and Adam, decided that they were ready to take the plunge and convert from steel cable to synthetic winch rope. We suggest that everyone transitioning from steel cable should upgrade to a Billet Aluminum Hawse Fairlead and Synthetic Winch Rope.
Here is a photographic walkthrough of our installation.
1. First we needed to remove the hook from the end of the steel cable.
2. Next we unspooled the steel cable. It is very important to use gloves when working with steel cable. This is one of the many drawbacks to using steel cable. It has burs and can cause you to injure your hands.
3. Now we can remove the set screw (or retainer screw) that is holding the steel cable to the winch.
4. Now it is time to switch out that fairlead. We are using the same hardware to connect the hawse fairlead.
5. In order to to have access to the bolts we are flipping the bolts around to the front and putting the nuts on the back of the bumper.
6. Now we need to feed the synthetic rope through the fairlead and bumper and over the drum 6 full wraps and tie an overhand knot.
7. We attach the crimped eye end of the rope to the winch before tightening the rope and knot on the drum.
Then we tighten up the wraps and the knot.
8. Time to winch in!
OUR INSTALLATION IS COMPLETE!